Post image for Who’s afraid of desserts with olive oil?

Who’s afraid of desserts with olive oil?

by Gogo on November 27, 2009

in Desserts,EatIstria Recipes

I like to eat seasonal. What is more seasonal now in autumn than quinces, kakis and young olive oil? Don’t ask me why kakis have become almost autochtonous to Istria. Here is a nice dessert you can prepare in less than 10 minutes.

Quince sauté on kaki mousse with chocolate and young leccino olive oil

For 2 persons you need:
1 quince, 2 kakis, 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of sugar
cinnamon, 1 clove, 25 g dark chocolate, 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil, possibly fruity, young and cloudy

Whos afraid of deserts with olive oil?

Peel quince and kakis. Cut quince in slices. Slightly caramelize sugar in a saucepan on low heat. Add quince slices, clove and butter and sauté everything for five minutes, until the slices are cooked but remain al dente. Put kakis, cinnamon and lemon juice in blender and make the mousse. Put the mousse on the bottom, add quince slices on top. Melt the chocolate and pour over the fruits. At the end, juice everything with a young olive oil that will add a nice refreshing peppery note to the dessert. Otherwise it would be too boring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Giuseppe Taibi November 27, 2009 at 02:45

OMG! That looks fantastic. Have you ever try to make it with Biancolilla extra virgin olive oil ? It is a Sicilian olive oil that is fruity and just a bit peppery but not too much.

Gogo November 27, 2009 at 10:25

Thanks Giuseppe for the compliments! I adore inventing desserts with olive oil. Did you try dark chocolate mousse made with extravirgin olive oil? I have never tried Biancolilla olive oil, but I adore tasting monocultivar olive oils. It’s as rewarding and emotionally satisfying as tasting a good bottle of wine.

I like your website! Funny, l work in science/high tech like you and we both adore the real extravirgin olive oil 🙂 Our family also produces olive oil, but for now only for our needs. We have our olive grove in a small village near Pula in Istria, Croatia.

Clem November 28, 2009 at 21:14

Mmmmmm Goran that sounds tastylicious! Why not make some more next week-end when I am in Pula?
By the way could you give me the name of the homemade pasta you mention as being better than Klara Maric? I’d like to bring some to the French people back home if possible.

Gogo November 29, 2009 at 15:23

Oh Clem, too bad, next weekend I will probably stay in Trieste. This weekend was so warm and sunny in Pula. I have just come back from the field where we put 250 posts that mark holes for the new olives. In the spring a new olive grove will be set up! Yupiee 🙂
For the pasta I will ask my aunt, she buys it from a lady that lives very close to her place. There are frozen fuži, njoki and pljukanci.

Drasko December 2, 2009 at 21:35

I’m not affraid, especially after this wonderful explanation. This could be nice workshop and oil sharing celebration. Next time count me in.

Đurđica December 3, 2009 at 15:55

Dear Goran, I am dating the guy who thinks afraid is spelled with double f. Our roommate and I agree that the oil you kindly donated to our household is the best olive oil we have ever tried, and so good it should be taken from the best olive oil category and introduced to the best anything ever category (we were not stoned while having this discussion). My father produces oil and I would love to pick up some of your less-secret advice. Much obliged:)

Gogo December 4, 2009 at 10:26

Thanks Đurđica your praising Oio Manjadico! I am so glad you like it because this year I really put a lot of effort in the olive grove to obtain perfectly healthy olives, but without using any chemicals. Apart this, it is important to bring the olives the same evening in the olive mill, only then the oil will be so good. I am coming to Zagreb on Monday, let’s meet up and have a coffee together,

Joakim February 12, 2010 at 17:16

Too bad quince and kaki season is over, otherwise I would have tried it for sure! I’ve had vanilla ice with white truffels and olive oil (our homemade). Superb!

Gogo February 15, 2010 at 18:29

Hey Joakim, thanks for the comment. Did I tell you that I tried your olive oil at Boris’s place? It is very good, herbacious, green and nicely spicy. We have to meet one weekend in Pula!

enogastromama November 10, 2010 at 21:53

Manjada ovo je za probati, čekam da se domognem kojeg kakija. Prošle smo zime guštali u sladoledu od kakija i bio je mrak. A u tvoj OIO znaš da ne sumjam, jedva čekam da ga probam ponovo!

Gogo November 11, 2010 at 11:19

Ja sam mislio da će gurwoman proći do tebe i donijeti ti mlado Oio Manjadico. Sad je pikantno ali još voćnije nego prošle godine i izvrsno bi pasalo uz ovaj recept. Izgleda da ću morati do tebe da ti ga dostavim i usput na pjat maneštre sa repom.